1.0 Respiration anatomy
The lungs are the respiratory organs, and along with the nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, trachea (trachea), chest and diaphragm are the essential anatomical components of the respiration apparatus (fig. 1 and 2). This is a complex system that leads air into the lungs and out again.
After completing this module you should be able to:
- describe the respiration apparatus anatomy
- explain what we mean by respiratory membranes
- provide a detailed description of the alveolar structure
- explain what surfactant is and what role it has in the lungs
- explain the pleura membrane organization and function