The lungs are the respiratory organs, and along with the nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, trachea (trachea), chest and diaphragm are the essential anatomical components of the respiration apparatus (fig. 1 and 2). This is a complex system that leads air into the lungs and out again.
After completing this module you should be able to:
- describe the respiration apparatus anatomy
- explain what we mean by respiratory membranes
- provide a detailed description of the alveolar structure
- explain what surfactant is and what role it has in the lungs
- explain the pleura membrane organization and function